Journal Publications published by the Genomics Policy unit are listed below.
Back to top
Journal Publications 2014
- Andrews V, Tonkin E, Lancastle D, Kirk M (2014) Identifying the characteristics of nurse opinion leaders to aid the integration of genetics in nursing practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70 (11): 2598-2611 (DOI: 10.1111/jan.12431; first published online: 28 Apr 2014)
- Andrews V, Tonkin E, Lancastle D, Kirk M (2014) Using the Diffusion of Innovations theory to understand the uptake of genetics in nursing practice: identifying the characteristics of genetic nurse adopters. J Adv Nurs 70 (4):878-93 (DOI:10.1111/jan.12255)
Back to top
Journal Publications 2013
- Conley Y, Biesecker L, Gonsalves S, Merkle C, Kirk M, Aouizerat B (2013) Current and Emerging Genetic and Genomic Technologies. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 45 (1): 5-14.
Led by Professor Maggie Kirk, the series of Nursing Standard articles below describe the revised genetics and genomics framework for nurses:
- Kirk M (2013) Introduction to genetics and genomics: a revised framework for nurses. Nursing Standard, 28, 8, 37-41 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.10.28.8.37.e7466)
- Jacobs, C and Patch C (2013) Identifying individuals who might benefit from genetic services and information. Nursing Standard, 28, 9, 37-42 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.10.28.9.37.e7514)
- Clancy T and Morgan R (2013) Tailoring genetic/genomic services and information to the individual. Nursing Standard, 28, 10, 37-43 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.11.28.10.37.e7844)
- Goldsmith L and Skirton H (2013) Genetics: advocating for the rights of all individuals to informed decision making and voluntary action. Nursing Standard, 28, 11, 37-41 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.11.28.11.37.e7493)
- Tonkin E and Skirton H (2013) The role of genetic/genomic factors in health, illness and care provision. Nursing Standard, 28, 12, 39-46 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.11.28.12.39.e7550)
- Skirton H and Jackson L (2013) Utility and limitations of genetic/genomic information and testing. Nursing Standard, 28, 13, 45-49 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.11.28.13.45.e7494)
- Fairgrieve S and McDonnell S (2013) Obtaining and communicating information about genetics and genomics. Nursing Standard, 28, 15, 37-41 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.12.28.15.37.e7465)
- Benjamin C, Birch J, Bradley A, Mannion G (2013) Genetics: examining your competency of practice on a regular basis. Nursing Standard, 28, 14, 37-43 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.12.28.14.37.e7502)
Back to top
- Kirk M and Marshallsay M (2013) Providing nursing care and support to individuals and families with genetic/genomic healthcare needs. Nursing Standard, 28, 16, 39-46 (http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.12.28.16.39.e7470)
Journal Publications 2012
- Kirk M., Morgan R., Tonkin E., McDonald K., Skirton H. (2012) An objective approach to evaluating an internet-delivered genetics education resource developed for nurses: Using Google Analytics to monitor global visitor engagement. Journal of Research in Nursing 17(6):557-579
- Hilgart, J.S. Bernadette Coles, B. & Iredale, R. (2012) Cancer genetic risk assessment for individuals at risk of familial breast cancer. Cochrane Library, doi 10.1002/14651858.CD003721.pub3
- Yu, J. (2012) Teenage sexual attitudes and behaviour in China: a literature review. Health and Social Care in the Community, 20(6), 561-58
Back to top
- Yu J (2012) A systematic review of issues around antenatal screening and prenatal diagnostic testing for genetic disorders: women of Asian origin in western countries. Health and Social Care in the Community, 29(4), 329-346
Journal Publications 2011
- De, D. (2011) Are international nursing students disadvantaged by UK patients? British Journal of Nursing, 19(20): 1299-1305.
- Iredale, R., Hilgart, J. & Hayward, J. (2011) Patient perceptions of a mobile cancer support unit in South Wales. European Journal of Cancer Care, 20(4): 555-560.
- Iredale, R., Mundy, L. & Hilgart, J. (2011) An Online Resource of Digital Stories About Cancer Genetics: Qualitative Study of Patient Preferences and Information Needs. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 13(3): e78.
- Iredale, R., Mundy, L., Marsden, D. & Murray, A. (2011) Patient involvement at the Cancer Genetics Service for Wales: how to meet the long-term information and support needs of people at risk of inherited cancer? Patient Education and Counselling, 84(2): 280-281.
- Iredale R, Madden K, Taverner N, Yu J & McDonald K (2011) The GAMY Project: young people’s attitudes to genetics in the South Wales valleys. HUGO, 4, 49-60.
- Kirk, M., Tonkin, E., Skirton, H., McDonald, K., Cope, B. & Morgan, R. (2011) Storytellers as partners in developing a genetics education resource for health professionals. Nurse Education Today, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.11.019
- Lifford, K., Fraser, L., Rosenthal, A., Iredale, R (2011) Withdrawal from familial ovarian cancer screening: preliminary findings from a psychological evaluation study (PsyFOCS). Gynecologic Oncology, 2011 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print].
- Yu. J., Taverner, N. & Madden, K. (2011) Young people’s views on sharing health-related stories on the internet. Health and Social Care in the Community, 19(3): 326-334.
The following are three articles from part of the free to access ‘Genetics/Genomics and Nursing Education’ series published in the Journal of Nursing Scholarship throughout 2011. The articles highlight the importance of genetics and genomics for nurse educators and nursing education worldwide.
This first article has been selected as the 2013 International Award recipient of the Best of Journal of Nursing Scholarship – Clinical Scholarship Award.
- Williams, J.K., Prows, C.A., Conley, Y.P., Eggert, J., Kirk, M. & Nichols, F. (2011) Strategies to Prepare Faculty to Integrate Genomics Into Nursing Education Programs”. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(3): 231-238.
Back to top
Journal Publications 2010
- Yu, J (2010) An overview of the sexual behaviour of adolescents and young people in contemporary China. Australasian Medical Journal, 3(7): 397-403. DOI: 10.4066/AMJ.2010.317
- Yu, J (2010) Sex education beyond school: Implications for practice and research. Sex Education, 10 (2): 187-199.
Back to top
- Yu, J (2010) Young people of Chinese origin in western countries: A systematic review of their sexual attitudes and behaviour. Health and Social Care in the Community, 18(2): 117-128.
Journal Publications 2009
Back to top
- Kirk, M, Tonkin, E (2009) Understanding the role of genetics and genomics in health 1: background. Nursing Times, 17th November.
- Kirk, M, Tonkin, E (2009) Understanding the role of genetics and genomics in health 2: implications for nursing. Nursing Times, 24th November.
- Morgan, R.,Tonkin, E. & Kirk, M. (2009) A chance to be heard: what motivates people to tell their healthcare stories? Interconnection Quarterly Journal, Issue number 5.
- Yu, J Kirk, M (2009) Evaluation of empathy measurement tools in nursing: systematic. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 65(9): 1790-1806.
- Yu, J (2009) Qualitative research on attitudes towards teenage sexual behaviour of Chinese-British families: Methodological issues. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 20(2): 156-163.
- Rafi, I, Qureshi, N, Lucassen, A, Modell, M, Elmslie, F, Kai, J, Kirk, M, Starey, N, Goff, S, Brennan, P and Hodgson, S.'Over-the-counter’ genetic testing: what does it really mean for primary care? British Journal of General Practice, 59(561): 283-287.
Journal Publications 2008
Back to top
- Kirk, M, Lea, D and Skirton, H (2008) Genomic healthcare: is the future now?Nursing and Health Sciences, 10: 85-92.
- McDonald, K, Iredale, R and Higgs, G (2008) The geography of genetics: an analysis of referral patterns to a cancer genetics service. Genomic Medicine 1: 129-138. DOI: 10.1007/s11568-008-9016-y
- Tonkin, E and Rafi, I (2008) Assessing genetic factors in heart disease. Practice Nursing 19 (4): 185-188.
- Yu, J (2008) Perspectives of Chinese British adolescents on sexual behaviour within their socio-cultural contexts in Scotland. Diversity in Health and Social Care, 5(3): 177-186.
- Yu, J and Kirk, M (2008) Measurement of empathy in nursing research: systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 64(5): 440-454.
Journal Publications 2007
Back to top
- Iredale, R and Longley, M (2007) From Passive Subject to Active Agent: The Potential of Citizens’ Juries in Nursing Research. Nurse Education Today, 27(7): 788-795 (DOI:10.1016/j.nedt.2006.10.012).
- Kirk, M, Tonkin, E and Birmingham, K (2007) Working with publishers: a novel approach to ascertaining practitioners’ needs in genetics education. Journal of Research in Nursing, 12(6): 597-615 (DOI: 10.1177/1744987107083035).
- Kirk, M, Tonkin, E and Burke, S (2007) Engaging nurses in genetics: the strategic approach of the NHS National Genetics Education and Development Centre. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 17(2):180-188 (DOI 10.1007/s10897-007-9127-y).
- Kirk, M, Tonkin, E and McDonald, K (2007) Genetics and the Primary Care Nurse. Practice Nurse, 34 (8): 28-31.
- Tonkin, E and Kirk, M (2007) Genetics – your nursing role. Primary Health Care, 17(8): 15-18.
- Yu, J (2007) British-born Chinese teenagers: The influence of Chinese ethnicity on their attitudes towards sexual behaviour. Nursing and Health Sciences, 9(1): 69-75, ISSN 1441-0745 (DOI: 10.1111/j.1442-2018.2007.00293.x)
- Yu, J School sex education: views within British-Chinese families (2007) Asian Journal of Nursing, 10(3): 171-178, ISSN 1022-2464.
Journal Publications 2006
Back to top
- Burke, S and Kirk, KM (2006) Genetics education in the nursing professions: a literature review Journal of Advanced Nursing, 54(2): 228-237, ISSN 0309-2402.
- De, D and Johnson, R (2006) Are their genes compatible? Midirs Midwifery Digest, 16(1): 55-60.
- De, D (2006) How Well Does Midwifery Education Enable Professionals to Work with Families and Individuals Affected By Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia? Research, Policy and Planning, 24(2): 121-133.
- Iredale, R, Longley, M, Thomas, C and Shaw, A (2006) What choices should we be able to make about designer babies? A Citizens’ Jury of young people in South Wales. Health Expectations, 9(3): 207-217. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2006.00387.x)
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E and Barr, O (2006) genetics and learning disability practice: is it part of your role? Learning Disability Practice, 9(7): 33-38.
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E and De, D (2006) Genetics in Emergency Care. Emergency Nurse, 14(5): 12-16.
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E and Gaff C (2006) Primary care nursing and genetics: it isn’t part of your role…is it? Primary Health Care, 16(7): 34-38.
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E and Marshall, D (2006) Genetics and paediatric nursing. Paediatric Nursing 18(7): 34-36.
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E and Patch (2006) Genetics: is it part of your role? Nursing Older People, 18(8): 22-26.
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E and Platt, K (2006) Genetics is it part of your role? Cancer Nursing Practice, 5(7): 20-24.
- Kirk, KM, Tonkin, E, Skirton, H and Carberry, A Genetics in mental health nursing: is it part of your role? Mental Health Practice, 10(1): 15-20.
- Longley, MJ and Iredale, R (2006) Everything you wanted to know about Citizens’ Juries but were afraid to ask. Journal of Advanced Nursing, ISSN 0309-2402.
- McDonald, K, Kirk, KM, Kaur-Mann, K, Skirton, H, Williams, B and Tonkin, E (2006) Telling Stories: understanding real life genetics. Journal of Medical Genetics, 43 (Suppl 1):S108.
- Phelps, C, Bennett, P, Iredale, R, Anstey, S and Gray, J (2006) The development of a distraction-based coping intervention for women waiting for genetic risk information: a phase 1 qualitative study. Psycho-Oncology, 15(2): 169-173 ( DOI: 10.1002/pon.937)
Journal Publications 2005
Back to top
- De, D (2005) Part 1: an overview of sickle cell painful episode in the UK. British Journal of Nursing, 14(8): 447-450.
- De, D (2005) Part 2: management approaches for sickle cell painful episode. British Journal of Nursing, 14(9): 484-489.
- De, D (2005) Crisis management Multicultural Nursing, 1(1): 16-17.>
- De, D (2005) The development of sickle cell and thalassaemia screening and the challenges to midwifery education. Midirs Midwifery Digest, 15(3): 339-346.
- Higgs, G, Tempest, V, McDonald, K, Iredale, R, Bater, T and Gray, J (2005) A pilot study of spatial pattern in referrals to a multicentre cancer genetics service. Community Genetics, 8(2): 73-79, ISSN 1422 2795 (DOI:10.1159/000084774).
- Iredale, R (2005) Citizen jury should consider aspirin prophylaxis. BMJ, 331:160 DOI:10.1136/bmj.331.7509.160-a).
- Iredale, R, Jones, L, Gray, J and Deaville, J (2005) 'The edge effect’: an exploratory study of some factors affecting referrals to cancer genetic services in rural Wales. Health & Place, 11(3): 197-204 (DOI:10.1016/j.healthplace.2004.06.005).
- Iredale, R and Longley, MJ (2005) Editorial Public participation and consumer consultation. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 29: 95-97, ISSN 1470 6423.
- Kirk, KM (2005) Introduction to the genetics series. Nursing Standard, 20(1): 48.
- Kirk, KM (2005) The role of genetic factors in maintaining health. Nursing Standard, 20(4): 50-4.
- McDonald, K, Kirk, KM And John, K (2005) How to … run a conference. MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, 15(2): 275-278.
Journal Publications 2004
- De, D (2004) Clinical Facts: what you need to know about…thrombolytic therapies. Nursing Times, 100(26): 31.
- De, D (2004) Clinical Facts: what you need to know about…thrombus. Nursing Times, 100(31): 32.
- De, D (2004) Clinical skills: a care plan approach to nurse-led extubation. British Journal of Nursing, 13(18): 1086-1090.
- Dolan, GC, Iredale, R and Ameen, JRM (2004) “Consumer use of the internet for health information: a survey of primary care patients”:http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2003.00363.x. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 28(2): 147-153.
- Higginson, RJ, Lewis, C, De, D And Jones, B (2004) The need for critical care nurse education at preregistration level. British Journal of Nursing, 13(22): 1326-1327.
- Kirk, KM (2004) Nursing research and genetics: a priority for 21st century Europe? Published proceedings 8th Encuentro de Investigación en Enfermeria. Editors: Unidad de coordinación y desarrollo de la Investigación en Enfermeria, Sevilla. 165-167. ISBN 84-688-8934-2.
- Kirk, KM (2004) Nursing through the genetic lens: convergent thinking on education and professional development. Nurse Education Today, 24(1): 1-3.
- Kirk, KM and McDonald, K (2004) Developing a framework for genetics in cancer nursing. cancer Nursing Practice, 3: 20-24, ISSN 1475-4266.
- Lewis, C, De, D, Jones, B and Higginson, RJ (2004) Comprehensive critical care education. British Journal of Nursing, 13(22), ISSN 0966-0461.
- McDonald, K , Higgs, G, Iredale, R, Tempest, V and Gray, J (2004) Analysing spatial trends in referral patterns to cancer genetics services: a preliminary investigation of regional variations in Wales. Health Services Management Research, 17: 263-271, ISSN 0951 4848.
- McDonald, K, Higgs, G, Iredale, R, and Gray, J (2004) A pilot study of spatial patterns in referrals to a multicentre cancer genetics service. Published proceedings 8th Encuentro de Investigación en Enfermeria. Editors: Unidad de coordinación y desarrollo de la Investigación en Enfermeria, Sevilla. ISBN 84-688-8934-2.
- McDonald, K,Kirk, KM, Hailey, S and Gray, J (2004) General practitioners, genetics and the new contract framework: any future? Published proceedings 8th Encuentro de Investigación en Enfermeria. Editors: Unidad de coordinación y desarrollo de la Investigación en Enfermeria. Sevilla. ISBN 84-688-8934-2.
- Phelps, C, Platt, K, France, L, Gray, J and Iredale, R (2004) Delivering information about cancer genetics via letter to patients at low and moderate risk of familial cancer: a pilot study in Wales. Familial Cancer, 3(1): 55-9. 10.1023/B:FAME.0000026838.92085.ec
Back to top
- Tonkin, E, Wang, T-J, Lisgo, S, Bamshad, M and Strachan, T (2004) NIPBL, encoding a homologue of fungal Scc2-type sister chromatid cohesion proteins and Drosophila Nipped-B, is mutated in Cornelia de Lange syndrome. Nature Genetics, 36(6): 636-41 (DOI: 10.1038/ng1363).
- Tonkin, E, Smith, M, Eichorn, P, Jones, S, Imamwerdi, B, Lindsay, S, Jackson, M, Wang, T-J, Ireland, M, Burn, J, Krantz, I and Strachan T (2004) A giant novel gene undergoing extensive alternative processing is severed by a Cornelia de Lange-associated translocation breakpoint at 3q26.3. Human Genetics, 115(2): 139-48 (DOI 10.1007/s00439-004-1134-6).
- Yeomans, AM and Kirk, KM (2004) Genetics for beginners. Nursing Standard, 18: 14-17.
Journal Publications 2003
Back to top
- Boland, A, McDonald, K, Iredale, R, Higgs, G, Tempest, V and Gray, J (2003) Proceedings of the GIS Research UK, 313 – 318, 11th Annual Conference GISRUK 2003: Geographical Information Systems Research – UK
- Gray, J, Longley, MJ, McDonald, K and Kirk, KM (2003) Genetics and the general practitioner: fellow travellers down the long road. eBMJ.
- Iredale*, R (2003) Begin at the beginning: new initiatives in the public understanding of genetics. Journal of Medical Genetics, 40(1).
- Iredale, R, Dolan, GC, McDonald, K and Kirk, KM (2003) Public attitudes to human gene therapy: a pilot study in Wales. Community Genetics, 6(3): 139-146 (DOI:10.1159/000078161).
- Iredale, R, Williams, B, Brain, K and France, E (2003) Breast cancer in men: group is exploring issues for men with breast cancer across the United Kingdom. B MJ, 327(7420): 930-931 (DOI:10.1136/bmj.327.7420.930-d)
- Kirk, KM, McDonald, K, Longley, MJ, Anstey, S, France, L, Skirton, H, Gray, J, Guilbert, P, Benjamin C, Anionwu, E and Denton, J (2003) Fit for practice in the genetics era: defining what nurses, midwives and health visitors should know and be able to do in relation to genetics. Journal of Medical Genetics, 40(Supplement 1): S47.
- McDonald, K, Kirk, KM, Hailey, S and Gray, J (2003) General practitioners, genetics and the new contract framework: any future? Journal of Medical Genetics, 40(Supplement 1): S46.
- Westenend, PJ, Iredale, R, Williams, B, Brain, K and France, E, Perkins, GH and Middleton, LP (2003) Breast cancer in men. BMJ_ 2003 (Aug 2), 327:239-40>
- Williams, WR, Ameen, JRM, Dolan, GC and Iredale, R (2003) Patients’ use of healthcare information on the internet: the impact on primary care consultations. International Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 11.
- Williams, BG, Iredale, R, Brain, K, France, E, Barrett-Lee, P and Gray, J (2003) Experiences of men with breast cancer: an exploratory focus group study. British Journal of Cancer, 89(10): 1834-6 (DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6601305).
Journal Publications 2002
- Elwyn, G, Iredale, R and Gray, J (2002) Reactions of GPs to a triage-controlled referral system for cancer genetics. Family Practice, 19(1): 65-71 (DOI:10.1093/fampra/19.1.65).
- Iredale, R, Brain, K, Gray, J and France, E (2002) The information and support needs of women at high risk of familial breast and ovarian cancer: how can cancer genetic services give patients what they want? Familial Cancer, 2(2): 119-21(DOI:10.1023/A:1025706907045)
- Iredale, R, Dolan, GC, Kirk, KM and McDonald, K (2002) An exploration of the factors that shape public perceptions on human gene therapy (links to conference poster). Journal of Medical Genetics, 39 (Supplement 1)S32.
- Kirk, KM (2002) The impact of globalisation and environmental change on health: challenges for nurse education. Nurse Education Today, 22 (1): 60-71.
- Kirk, KM, McDonald, K, Hailey, S, Gray, J and Ameen, JRM (2002) General Practitioners, genetics and the new contract framework: any future? (conference paper). Wales Primary Care Research and Clinical Effectiveness Symposium, Royal College of General Practitioners Wales, 5th December 2002.
- Tempest, V, Iredale, R, McDonald, K, Bater, T, France, E and Gray, J (2002) Geographical mapping of referrals to the Cancer Genetics Service for Wales (conference poster). Journal of Medical Genetics, 39(Supplement 1).
- Tonkin, E, Hagan, DM, Li, W and Strachan, T (2002) Identification and characterisation of novel mammalian homologues of Drosophila polyhomeotic permits new insights into relationships between members of the polyhomeotic family. Human Genetics, 111(4-5): 435-42 (DOI 10.1007/s00439-002-0814-3).
Back to top
Journal Publications 2001
- Iredale, R and France, E (2001) Attitudes of community practitioners in Wales. Community Practitioner, 74: 2-4, ISSN 1462-2815.
- Iredale, R and France, E (2001) Cancer genetics and attitudes of health practitioners in Wales. Community Practitioner, 74(9): 339-41.
- Iredale, R and Northway, R (2001) Consumers and healthcare. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 25(2): 79-81.
- Krantz, ID,Tonkin, E, Smith, M, Devoto, M, Bottani, A, Simpson, C, Hofreiter, M, Abraham, V, Jukofsky, L, Conti, BP, Strachan, T and Jackson, L (2001) Exclusion of linkage to the CDL1 gene region on chromosome 3q26.3 in some familial cases of Cornelia de Lange syndrome. American Journal of Medical Genetics, 101 (2): 120-9 (DOI: 10.1002/1096-8628(20010615)101:2<120::AID-AJMG1319>3.0.CO;2-G).
- Kumar, S, Gantley, M, Elwyn, G and Iredale, R (2001) Integrating genetics into primary care in practice. BMJ, 323 (7325): 1367. doi:10.1136/bmj.323.7325.1367.
Back to top
Journal Publications 2000
- Aly, N, McDonald, K, Leathley, MJ, Sharma, AK and Watkins, CL (2000) Retrospective case note review of acute and inpatient stroke outcomes. BMJ, 320(7248): 1511-1512. ISSN 0959-8138 (DOI:10.1136/bmj.320.7248.1511).
- Elwyn, G, Gray, J and Iredale, R (2000) Tensions in implementing the new genetics. General practitioners in south Wales are unconvinced of their role in genetics services. BMJ, 321 (7255): 240-1 (DOI:10.1136/bmj.321.7255.240/b).
- Gray, J, Brain, K, Iredale, R, Alderman, J, France, E and Hughes, H (2000) A Pilot Study of Telegenetics. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 6 (4): 245-247. ISSN 1357-633X.
- Iredale, R (2000) Eugenics and its Relevance to Contemporary Health Care. Nursing Ethics, 7(3) 205-214. ISSN 0969-7330 (DOI: 10.1177/096973300000700303).
- Iredale, R and Longley, MJ (2000) Reflections on Citizens’ Juries: The Case of the Citizens’ Jury on Genetic Testing for Common Disorders. Journal of Consumer Studies and Home Economics, 24 (1): 41-47. ISSN 0309-3 891.
- Kirk, KM and Iredale, R (2000) Designer baby: a question of ethics… using genetic screening on an embryo. Nursing Standard, 15(5): 22.
- Kirk, KM (2000) First page of the book. Nursing Standard, 14 (44): p20. ISSN 0029-6570.
- Kirk, KM (2000) Genetics, ethics and education: considering the issues for nurses and midwives. Nursing Ethics, 7 (3): 215-226. ISSN 0969-7330 (DOI: 10.1177/096973300000700304)
- McGregor, S and Kirk, KM (2000) The midwife 2010: a scenario exploring the impact of genetics on the future of midwifery practice. The Practising Midwife, 3(1): 16-19. ISSN 1461-3123.
Back to top
Journal Publications 1999
Back to top
Journal Publications 1998
Back to top
- Iredale, R and Cleverly, A (1998) Education and training in genetics in social work programmes across the United Kingdom. British Journal of Social Work, 28(6): 961-968. ISSN 0045-3102.
- Kirk, KM (1998) Genomics: Setting an Agenda for Regional Health Care, Copenhagen: WHO.
- Kirk, KM (1998) Relative Concerns Associated with Genetics and Surrogacy. British Journal of Nursing, 7(12): 717-721. ISSN 0966-0461.
- Kirk, KM, Iredale, R and Longley M (1998) The current and future role of genetics services in primary care: the opinions of General Practitioners in Wales. Journal of Medical Genetics, 35 (Supplement 1): S68 (link to conference poster).
- Kirk, KM, Iredale, R, Longley, MJ and Beddow, T (1998) Commissioning Genetics Services. NHS Confederation Update, July 1998.
Journal Publications 1997
- Cleverly, A and Iredale, R (1997) Genetic Illness: Examining the Future. Community Care, 28-29.
- Iredale, R and Longley, MJ (1997) Genetics, Genicity and Genomics – A New Language for a New Era. Euroscreen. Ethics of Genetic Screening, Issue 7: 5-8. ISSN 1355-7904.
- Kirk, KM(1997) Commercial Gene Testing: the Need for Professional and Public Debate. British Journal of Nursing, 6(18): 1043-1047. ISSN 0966-0461.
- Kirk, KM, Iredale, R, Longley, MJ and Cleverly, A (1997) The status of genetics services in health authority contracting in the United Kingdom. Journal of Medical Genetics, 34 (Supplement 1): S61.
- Warner, M, Longley, MJ and Iredale, R (1997) The impact of the new genetics on healthcare. Hospitals and Healthcare – Past, Present and Future. International Hospital Federation 50th Anniversary Commemoration. pp. 78-82
Back to top